- Theresa B
My Top 5 Things To Do In Amsterdam
Updated: Mar 20
Amsterdam has always been on my bucket list and I had the wonderful privilege to spend 3 nights in this wonderful city prior to my river cruise on the AmaSiena. There are so many things to see and do that you could easily spend an entire week exploring. Here are my top 5!
1. Take a historical canal ride. This was definitely a highlight of our stay. The water tours of Amsterdam are some of the most desired. Since there are hundreds of canals throughout the nation that were created just for travel, there is no reason not to give this popular attraction a try. During your gentle water ride, you'll get to view some of the country's most detailed architecture and most beautiful landscapes.
2. Take a walk through the wildflowers. Amsterdam takes great pride in its bulb flowers, especially tulips. Visit the amazingly vibrant bulb flower park in Lisse if you wish to see the tulips in all their glory. If you happen to miss the tulip season, don't worry. There are plenty of bulbed flowers that grow year-round at the park.
3. Visit one of the many spectacular art museums or history museums. Check out paintings by Rembrandt, Van Gogh, or other world-renowned artists or revisit history by walking into the Anne Frank House, where you can see the secret annex where Anne hid during World War II.
4. Walk through De Wallen, the nation's red-light district. This is a popular and often misunderstood area.
Try out one of the district's fine restaurants, small boutiques, or find entertainment at any of the places not lit up with red lights. For a faster way to venture through, rent a bicycle. You'll find that you can easily rent a bike, but be aware that there are bikes everywhere and you'll want to be an experienced rider if you choose to do this.
5. Last but not least, you mustn't leave the city without trying some of its authentic Dutch cuisines or experiencing one of its cannabis coffeehouses. We loved one of the Dutch pancake houses so much that we actually went back and ate there twice. Cannabis coffeehouses are everywhere and people travel from all over the world to Amsterdam to encounter these coffee shops in person. In Amsterdam, marijuana is simply a way to unwind, and these coffeehouses are some of the most reputable and reliable sources to enjoy a delicious bite to eat and a puff of smoke as you dine.
Amsterdam is a perfect city to begin or end a river cruise. If you're interested in visiting this wonderful destination and would like to hear more about my experience there, or my experience on the AmaSiena, please reach out by booking a consultation through my Services page. I'd love to chat!